geraineon: (Default)
[personal profile] geraineon posting in [community profile] cnovels
This is your weekly read-in-progress post!

For spoilers:

<details><summary>insert summary</summary>Your spoilers goes here</details>

<b>Highlight for spoilers!*</b><span style="background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #FFFFFF">Your spoilers goes here.</span>*

Date: 2026-08-19 01:12 pm (UTC)
lee_bella: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lee_bella
I tried the first 2-3 chapters of Paintings of Terror. The writing didn't click with me, so I dropped it.

Hope you are having a good week! (And thank you for doing this post every week.)

Date: 2026-08-20 03:32 am (UTC)
dayadhvam_triad: (Default)
From: [personal profile] dayadhvam_triad
Skimming the table of contents, that food zine looks interesting :D

Date: 2026-08-20 06:22 am (UTC)
halfcactus: an icon of a manga shiba inu (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfcactus
Serving Suggestion looks sooooo good

Date: 2026-08-20 06:51 am (UTC)
douqi: (Default)
From: [personal profile] douqi
+1 that the zine looks super cool! Would also love to hear about your experience of reading in Bahasa Indonesia.

Date: 2026-08-26 08:39 pm (UTC)
douqi: (Default)
From: [personal profile] douqi
Ooh looking forward to pics! (when you have the energy)

Date: 2026-08-19 01:43 pm (UTC)
duckprintspress: (Default)
From: [personal profile] duckprintspress
I finished My Husband and I Sleep in a Coffin. All things considered, with all the negative things I'd heard about it, I actually enjoyed it more than I expected to. Which isn't really saying much, it's still not a book I'd particularly recommend, but I at least got enough out of it that I don't regret the money I spent on it.

I then started Qiang Jin Jiu, which I've been waiting to read for years, and I'm only 100 pages in to volume 1 (of 8 volumes) and I'm already lowkey obsessed. The only reason I haven't been binge reading is that I've been stupid busy the last week.

Date: 2026-08-26 02:55 pm (UTC)
duckprintspress: (Default)
From: [personal profile] duckprintspress
it IS my first read-through, and it's making me insane. I want all the answers and I want them now.

Date: 2026-08-19 02:20 pm (UTC)
larryhammer: floral print origami penguin, facing left (Default)
From: [personal profile] larryhammer
Still adulting, still no cnovels. Became League Champion in Pokemon Red and started Crystal, also a first time play.

Date: 2026-08-26 02:14 pm (UTC)
larryhammer: floral print origami penguin, facing left (Default)
From: [personal profile] larryhammer
I don't have a device* that can play 3DS or Switch games, so nothing past Gen 5 for sure. I'm more likely to branch off into the vibrant ROM hacking scene, as there's some pretty darn good fan-made games out there (I for sure plan to someday play Pokemon Unbound, P. Lazarus, P. Elysium, and P. Dreamstone Mysteries), plus there's the Mystery Dungeon games.

* Other than my PC, but I don't game on it -- I game to get away from it.
Edited (formatting borked) Date: 2026-08-26 03:03 pm (UTC)

Date: 2026-08-20 12:38 am (UTC)
halfcactus: an icon of a manga shiba inu (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfcactus
Erhathings:

  • I've stalled on the novel; [personal profile] duckprintspress's comment about there being less Mo Ran whump than Chu Wanning whump is making me second-guess my desire to continue 😂

  • The whiplash I got from the joyful announcement about an Erha manga coming out and then the cancellation of said manga two days later because the mangaka (Yamane Amano, a yaoi mangaka) was found (via old social media posts) to have xenophobic sentiments towards Korean and Chinese people... I feel bad for Meatbun now.
  • Date: 2026-08-20 05:55 pm (UTC)
    duckprintspress: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] duckprintspress
    oh noooo I'm sorry! there's still a lot of whump for both of them! it's a very whumpful book.

    and yeah the manga thing is such a huge, depressing mess.

    Date: 2026-08-21 02:06 pm (UTC)
    halfcactus: an icon of a manga shiba inu (Default)
    From: [personal profile] halfcactus
    LOL no worries I was slowing down anyway bc I wasn't particularly invested! It heartens me a bit to know that there is some more whump in the future 😂

    Date: 2026-08-21 02:12 pm (UTC)
    duckprintspress: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] duckprintspress
    understood!!! <3

    I'm just always hoping for more people to read and like 2ha, lmao.

    Date: 2026-08-20 03:02 am (UTC)
    aurumcalendula: Shen Zechuan and Xiao Chiye (detail from St's cover of volume 3 of Ballad of Sword and Wine/Qiang Jin Jiu) (Shen Zechuan and Xiao Chiye)
    From: [personal profile] aurumcalendula
    I'm partway though volume 8 of QJJ, although I haven't gotten much of a chance to read it this week.

    Date: 2026-08-20 03:23 am (UTC)
    dayadhvam_triad: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] dayadhvam_triad
    I haven't read much recently... But I did translate a Three Kingdoms RPF cfic into English. That was knifey fun! XD

    我还以为是游戏呢 finished earlier this month, and I ended up liking the third & last Tang dynasty arc the most for its poetry funtimes even if the story as a whole is kind of disjointed. Baily's Beads (by priest) is still languishing on my JJWXC bookshelf for whenever I'm in a cnovel-reading mood again.

    Date: 2026-08-26 10:20 pm (UTC)
    dayadhvam_triad: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] dayadhvam_triad
    yep on AO3, though fyi it's set during the later Three Kingdoms era so most of the more well-known characters besides Zhuge Liang are out of the picture XD Zhuge Liang Weighs a Hundred Catties

    Date: 2026-08-20 04:14 am (UTC)
    ehyde: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] ehyde
    I foolishly packed volume 2 of Mo Du for my vacation but not volume 3 (this is a 3 volume edition), thinking that I'd be lucky if I could pull myself out of my current fanfic loop and read even one book, and then I finished it. Yes, I could read the epub, but I printed these specifically to be able to read them on paper, so I'll guess I'll wait.

    Date: 2026-08-20 12:13 pm (UTC)
    lee_bella: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] lee_bella
    I finished What Naughty Thoughts Could the Heavenly Tribulation Thunder Possibly Have? (天雷能有什么坏心思呢) by Chun Feng Yao (春风遥), a xianxia comedy. It was a lot of fun. Chun Feng Yao knows how to write comedy.

    Date: 2026-08-20 05:56 pm (UTC)
    duckprintspress: (Default)
    From: [personal profile] duckprintspress
    that title is amazing

    Profile

    cnovels: (Default)
    Chinese Novels

    August 2026

    S M T W T F S
          1
    2345 6 78
    9101112 131415
    161718 19202122
    232425 26272829
    3031     

    Most Popular Tags

    Style Credit

    Expand Cut Tags

    No cut tags
    Page generated Aug. 28th, 2026 06:21 pm
    Powered by Dreamwidth Studios